Tuesday 28 December 2010

Our Christmas (Long)


What fantastic festive fun we've had the last few days.
It all started on the18th Dec with Theo's family here for Christmas.
We managed to fit everyone into the new family room (it's so great to have room for everyone)so we could all sit together for Christmas dinner. It was lovely. I decided on a roast dinner and that was no small feat, but with all the family pitching in, it went very smoothly.
Laura came up with the idea that we should have real crockery and cutlery and she remembered that my SIL Helen and her family had made everyone a dinner plate that was uniquely theirs when they had Christmas at their house 4 years ago.So an email or a phone call went out to everyone to bring their plate. Our niece made mine and because I love patchwork, that was what she painted on my plate. I also made a little bauble name holders for everyone.
Gifts under the tree for the children (right) and one for the adults (left).
For the adults we buy one gift, we then play a game to swap the gifts.
There was plenty of room on the new verandah for everyone. We played a few fun games through the afternoon.


Sitting down together for dinner.
The finished Gingerbread house looked fantastic
The makers of the gingerbread house.
My DD Laura, niece Philippa and her BF Michael.
The girls didn't want the house 'smashed' so they carefully removed one side of the roof the reveal a surprise.
Some fingers got in very quickly.....
not much left after everyone has a piece!!!
 
The 24th of December sees my family get together for our Christmas festivities. Every year we sit the children in front of the tree and take a photo.
Below was 5 years ago, haven't they grown!!
We all sit together for dinner on Christmas Eve

Christmas day is a little more relaxed,with a simple lunch,
 we then help mum later in the afternoon to prepare for the next round of festivities on the 26th. Mum makes a traditional turkey,
here's my brother with the finished result. This one was about 7.5 kg (15.5lbs) plus stuffing!!! We have very close family friends come for lunch.

I hope you all had a beautiful Christmas with those you love.

Today sees me doing not much, pottering seems like a very good idea. I might venture into the sewing room later, but for now, pottering it is!  

Till next time

2 comments:

ozjane said...

Looks lovely...I like the idea of bring their own plate.
I always have had a longing for two things....a proper Cutlery Canteen..Moggie found one in a CATalog so she gave me that a couple of years ago. the other one was a Christmas dinner set. At this stage I doubt that will happen.....

Judy said...

I love the plate idea. That would be a great Christmas gift to make for the grandkids. Do you know how she did it? Your Christmas looked like it turned out wonderful! I thought of last year to do gingerbread houses but...forgot ;(
Maybe next year :)